A Splendid Recipe for Some Good Old Omega-3!By Michelle Stone
When people start considering their diets and go to a nutritionist for help, they often hear terms such as protein, fiber, carbohydrates, and healthy fats. Wait, did you read healthy fats? Yes, you did.
Generally, people consider fats as tiny evil creatures that sit in your closet and tighten your clothes on a daily but, believe it or not, fats are just as important as any other nutrients on your plate. When it comes to gaining weight, everyone should be aware that an excess of anything can have adverse effects on your body.
What are Omega-3 Fatty Acids?
Fatty acids are found to be in 3 forms: alpha-linolenic Acid (ALA), Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA), and last but not least, the eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA). All three of them are important for maintaining a healthy diet and keeping your mind and body at optimal health. Before discussing the best way to get your daily dose of Omega 3 fatty acids, it is important to discuss why they are so important?
The Wondrous Benefits of Omega-3 Fatty Acids
– Fighting depression and anxiety: Omega-3 is extremely beneficial in improving mental health. Studies have shown that people who consume omega-3 on a daily basis are least likely to develop depression or anxiety.
– Keeping that sight just right: The DHA type of Omega-3 is the major component in the eye’s retina. By consuming an adequate amount of omega-3, you can prevent your eyes from macular degeneration, which is the world’s leading cause of permanent eye damage and blindness.
– Great for pregnancy: Since Omega-3 is essential for brain growth and development, if a pregnant woman consumes an adequate amount of the substance, it can help develop the child and grant benefits like higher intelligence, a decreased risk of development problems, and fewer behavioral problems.
An Amazing Omega-3 Smoothie Recipe
Now that you know why omega-3 is so important and its importance, you can easily incorporate it into your daily diet. Use the ingredients below to create a delicious and nutritious smoothie:
– 1/2 cup (125 mL) fortified soy milk,
– Chilled 4 oz (113 g) plain soft tofu,
– Freshly squeezed juice from 1 orange 2 tsp (10 mL),
– Lemon juice 1 tsp (5 mL),
– Grated ginger root 1 Tbsp (15 mL),
– Hempseed or flaxseed oil, or liquid from 1 fish oil capsule,
– Cardamom (optional).
All you need to do is to pop the ingredients in a blender, except for the oil. Give it a quick mix until all the ingredients are infused with each other, then add the oil, give it one last mix and you’re done!